Now that the school has unfortunately closed for the foreseeable future it will be really important to keep the core skills that the children have learnt and would have developed in place, ready for when they return. These are the 3 core skills that should be a focus:
- Hearing your child read at least twice a week to encourage them to pick up a book is vitally important, or read to them yourselves, it is fantastic to see their faces as you read.
- I also have attached the different year group’s spellings that they could learn each week, by look-cover-write-check and maybe even a test at the end of each week.
- I have made available the times table challenge I created to test all tables knowledge up to 12X, firstly in order, then jumbled up. Your children could see how fast they can complete this, and hopefully get quicker each time. Have a go yourself!!
The deadline for the Saying thank you to the NHS competition has been extended to the 19th June 2020. This is your chance to get creative and recognise the work of NHS staff across the country. The brief is to produce: a piece of artwork or creative writing. For more details and information on how to submit your entry please follow this link: Competition Page and Entry guidelines
Our topic work was due to be Groovy Greeks. This afforded a wealth of material to work with:
- Geography: to use atlas skills to locate Greece on a map (google earth), look at the capital city, the flag, the neighbouring countries/ seas. (Recap knowledge of Europe)
- History: the differences between Athens and Sparta, the battle of Marathon, ancient Olympics, Greek Gods, battle of Troy, Mount Olympus.
- Art: design a greek vase, create a fact file on Greek gods, writing and designing a poster using the greek alphabet.
- Design and Technology: create a Greek vase from papier mache, design a Greek mask from papier mache, look at Greek buildings and design a building with columns
- Literacy: Greek Myths, plays and tragedies
- PE: Joe Wicks provides a fantastic and fun way to exercise via a daily workout via the YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0go1pTda8
- Science: properties and changes in materials. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zcvv4wx
- Maths: a little trickier, but in the first instance the folder provided for home learning on the website will provide some maths activities. CGP maths, and grammar work books are a good idea, available at Amazon for less than £5.00 each
- Spelling: see weekly lists in resources
- Project: I have set a project to keep people mentally active too, please see the details below.
- Coding: this link is a fun and quick introduction to computer coding - https://www.bt.com/codeacake/
9.00am - PE with Joe Wicks youtu.be/6v-a_dpwhro
10.00am - Maths with Carol Vorderman www.themathsfactor.com
11.00am - English with David Walliams www.worldofdavidwalliams.com/elevenses
12.00pm - Lunch (cooking with Jamie Oliver) www.jamieoliver.com/features/category/get-kids-cooking
1.00pm - Music with Myleene Klass www.youtube.com/channel/UCQh2wgJ5tOrixYBn6jFXsXQ
1.30pm - Dance with Darcey Bussel twitter.com/diversedancemix/status/1241098264373592065
2.00pm - History with Dan Snow (free for 30-days) tv.historyhit.com/signup/package
4.00pm - Home Economics with Theo Michaels (Mon/Wed/Fri) www.instagram.com/theocooks
Full list: skintdad.co.uk/free-online-classes-for-kids.
Non-daily events include:
Science with Professor Brian Cox, Robin Ince & Guests cosmicshambles.com/stayathome/upcoming-schedule
9.30am Wednesday 25 March - Geography with Steve Backshall twitter.com/SteveBackshall/status/1242058846941712385
Oak National Academy - New and exciting lessons available from Oak National Academy. Put ‘Oak National Academy’ into your web browser, select ‘ online classroom’ click on the ‘subjects’ button on the top right hand side, then select your year group, choose a la subject and then a lesson, plug in your earphones and begin the lessons!
An excellent way of linking to thousands of resources would be to sign up to Twinkl, free for a month for parents to access, with the details on how to do this below:
How do I sign up for the free month?
Step 1: Go to www.twinkl.co.uk/offer
Step 2: Enter the code you have received, or
CVDTWINKLHELPS if you have not yet been given a code
Step 3: Share the offer code and website link with anyone who could benefit
For any help, please don’t hesitate to get in touch via email
Many thanks, and hope to see you all soon,