In the event of school closing due to bad weather school will:
1. Inform parents via BBC Cumbria radio station. School will aim to inform the radio station by 8am. School will not contact parents directly, however, whenever possible additional messages will be sent out via the PTA Facebook page, Our School App and be announced on the Cumbria County Council’s School Closures list. Parents can subscribe to the closures list and once done so will automatically receive an alert.
2. Parents should check on the BBC Cumbria web site and radio station for further updates and assume the school will reopen the following day unless informed via the web site/radio station that the school has had to remain closed. Parents should not expect to contact staff on the day of closure, as they will most likely be unable to travel safely into school.
3. Whenever possible school will contact our website provider to advertise closures. However BBC Cumbria is the most reliable source of information (particularly in the case of power cuts etc) so please use this as your first point of reference.
4. Staff should contact the Headteacher for further details/instructions, but should not attempt to travel in adverse conditions until the status of the school day has been clarified.
5. Staff will use such days as ‘work at home’ days. School staff are committed to keep the school open unless the situation demands otherwise. Staff have the responsibility to ensure adequate cover for children in school and if staff cannot get into school then the Headteacher has no choice but to close the school for the safety of the children.
In the event of the school closing due to no heating, no running water, a power cut or no provision to provide school lunch (or indeed any other unforeseen problem not affecting the area generally) school will:
1. Contact parents directly to inform them of the situation.
2. Parents will assume that the school will open the following day unless informed directly by school of further closure.